- A New Visa Telephone Assistance 24/7 -

Phone: 1800 171 443

Assistance hours: 24 hours & 7days a week

Available language: English only

Jurisdiction areas

Visa applications ONLY from the residents in NSW, NT and New Caledonia can be accepted.

Our jurisdiction areas: New South Wales, Northern Territory

     We also provide the consular service to the residents in New Caledonia.

Seules les demandes de visa des résidents de NSW, NT et Nouvelle-Calédonie peuvent être acceptées.

Nos zones de juridiction: Nouvelle-Galles du Sud, Territoire du Nord.

Nous fournissons également le service consulaire aux résidents de Nouvelle-Calédonie.

Pour toute demande de visa japonais, vous pouvez contacter le Consulat Honoraire du Japon à Nouméa, Nouvelle-Calédonie (+687-27-83-03) ou le Consulat général du Japon à Sydney, Australie (+61-9280-1000 appuyez sur 2).


Due to the recent increase in the number of visa applications and the Consular affair procedures, our waiting room is crowded and the waiting time could be longer.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Furthermore, it might be difficult to make an appointment to schedule a visit to apply for a visa at the moment.

If it is urgent or your departure day from Sydney is coming up soon but you cannot make an appointment, please call us for further assistance.

1. Check if you need a visa

Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay)
Nationals of some countries and regions are not required to obtain visas to enter Japan for short term stay for tourism, commerce, conferences, visiting relatives/ acquaintances, etc up to 90 days.

The list below is just some examples of visa exempted countries/regions (as of December 2019, 68 countries and regions in total).

Table - Some examples of visa exempted countiers & regions

Please ensure to check the details of the visa exemptions in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website below.

2. Check if you can apply in Sydney

Only Applications from the residents in NSW, NT and New Caledonia are accepted.

Who Can Apply?     Who CANNOT?

CAN - Acceptable

Long Term Residents in NSW, NT, and New Caledonia

* Permanent resident visa holders

* Student visa holders

* Business visa holders

* Graduate visa holders

CANNOT - UNacceptable

Visitors and Residents in other states (QLD, VIC, TAS, SA & WA) in Australia

* Australian temporary visitor visa holders

* Holders of an Australian visitor visa who changed their visa from a student Visa

* Residents in the other states in Australia except Northern Territory

3. Visa application period

You may apply for a visa 3months prior to entering Japan.

Depending on your travel plan, please apply for a visa accordingly.

4. Visa processing time

Visa Processing Time:
The minimum assessment time is 5 working days for all visas.
It generally takes longer if additional documents are required for further assessment.
In some cases, applications need to be referred to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, and it can take between 2 weeks and 2 months or more to complete the process.

There is NO priority processing service.

5. Opening hours

Visa application hours 9:30 - 12:00, 14:00 - 14:30 (Online booking required)

Visa collection hours 14:00 - 16:00 (Booking NOT required) *Afternoon ONLY

Phone inquiry hours 10:00 - 12:00, 15:00 - 17:00 Phone : 02-9250-1000 (press 2)

"Japan Visa Information Hotline" (A new visa telephone assistance 24/7) 1800-171-443 (English only)

6. Visa fee

Current Visa Fees

visa fees

* Visa fee exemption (no charge) : Australian, New Zealander, Korean, Malaysian, Bangladeshi, Colombian and Pakistani passport holders.

7. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


* Please click the questions and you will get the answers.

1. Do I need a visa to enter Japan?

Some nationals are not required to obtain visas to enter Japan depending on the purposes. Please visit Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay) for more information.

2. How long does it take to process a visa?

It takes at least 5 working days. When the assessment of your application has been completed, we will upload your visa application number on our website. You can check if your passport is ready for collection by checking our website. There is NO priority processing service.

3. Do I need 3 or 6 month validity left of my passport to enter Japan?

It is NOT required to have 3 months or 6 months passport validity in order to enter Japan, as long as your passport is valid until the end of your trip to Japan and return to Australia.

4. Can I apply for a visa online or by post?

If you live in a distant location from Sydney (Newcastle and northward in NSW, Lithgow and westward in NSW, Nowra and southward in NSW, Anywhere in NT and in New Caledonia), you may apply for a visa by post. We do not accept online applications.

5. Do all my family members have to come in person to apply for visas?

All visa applicants must come in person to apply for visas. As an exception, the family member (NOT friends or agents) can apply for a visa on behalf of the applicant. In that case the applicant who has NOT appeared yet including a baby has to come to collect his/her passport when the assessment is completed.

6. My husband is too busy to apply for a visa in person. Can I submit all the documents for him?

Yes, but he must come in person to collect his passport once the assessment has been completed. Family members may apply on behalf of applicants.

7. My mother will temporarily stay in Sydney for 3 months on a visitor visa. Can she apply for a visa?

We do NOT take applications from applicants holding an Australian visitor visa. They must apply for the visa in their home countries.

8. I live on the Central Coast NSW, and I am too busy to visit and apply for a visa. Can I send all the documents by post?

No, you must come in person. Only those who reside in distant locations may apply for visas by post - Newcastle and northward in NSW, Lithgow and westward in NSW, Nowra and southward in NSW, Anywhere in NT and in New Caledonia.

9. I am going back to my home country first and then I will depart for Japan from there. Can I apply for a visa in Sydney or should I do it in my home country?

You may apply for a visa in Sydney, however, please show us your booking confirmations for all of your flights. Please note, if you will stay in your home country for a long enough period to apply for a visa to Japan (longer than 1 month), please apply for the visa in your country.

10. My friend who lives in Adelaide SA is coming to visit me in Sydney and will stay for 3 weeks. Can he apply for a visa in Sydney?

No, he must apply for a visa at the Consulate-General of Japan in Melbourne. We can only accept visa applications from the residents of NSW, NT and New Caledonia.

8. Cancellation / Withdrawing your application

To cancel/withdraw the visa application, the applicant must come in person and submit a letter of the reason and the green receipt which is given when you lodge the application.

* All the submitted documents will NOT be returned except the passport.


Consulate-General of Japan in Sydney - Visa Section (Phone Inquiry Hours 10:00-12:00, 15:00-17:00)

Phone: 02-9250-1000 (press 2) (Phone only - NO inquiries can be made by email.)

Postal address: G.P.O Box 4125, Sydney NSW 2001 Australia

Location address: Level 12, 1 O'Connell Street, Sydney NSW 2000 Australia

"Japan Visa Information Hotline" (A New Visa Telephone Assistance 24/7): 1800-171-443 (English only)

Please click the icon below for further information about

Visa Application (how to apply) or Visa Collection (after assessment).

enter button to step1

e1nter button to step1