- Opening Hours
- General Rules for Visas
- Visa Validity
- Processing Time
- Who can apply for a visa?
- How to apply for a visa?
- Types of Visas & Application Documents
- Submitting More Information
- Visa Fee
- Current procedure of entry into Japan
- Information on Border Measure
- Visiting Japan
Our jurisdiction areas: New South Wales, Northern Territory
We also provide the consular service to the residents in New Caledonia.
Visa applications ONLY from the residents in NSW, NT and New Caledonia can be accepted.
Visa application hours
9:30 - 12:00, 14:00 - 15:00 Online Booking Required
*Priority will be given to those who have booked online.
Visitors can still attend without an appointment but must arrive before 11:00am.
*☝*Please note that there could be long waiting times and that you may be asked to come back to the consulate at a later date if capacity has been reached or your application requires additional procedures.
Visa collection hours
14:00 - 16:00 (NO Booking required) *Afternoon ONLY
General Rules for Visas
- The Consulate General of Japan in Sydney only accepts visa applications and visa inquiries from the residents in NSW, NT and New Caledonia. For residents of other states, please refer to the List of Embassy/Consulates in Australia.
- We do not accept any applications from Australian visitor (tourist) visa holders.
- Applicants may authorise a proxy. To authorise a proxy for application drop off/pickup, the applicant MUST fill out an authorisation letter and have the proxy submit the original letter to the Consulate along with his/her ID card.
- Please note that we will keep passports while processing visa applications.
Temporary visitor visa
Visas are valid for 3 months (single entry).
We will not accept any visa applications more than 3 months before your departure date.
*Working holiday visas are valid for one year from the visa issue date.
Multiple entry visa
Multiple entry visa valid for 1-5 years.
The minimum assessment time is 5 business days for all visas. It generally takes longer if additional documents are required for further assessment.
We will call you if we need more information for further assessment.
In some cases, applications need to be referred to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, and it can take between 2 weeks and 2 months or more to complete the process.
There is NO priority and urgent processing service.
Who can apply for a visa?
Long-Term Residents in NSW, NT, and New Caledonia
* Permanent resident visa holders
* Student visa holders
* Business visa holders
* Graduate visa holders
Visitors and Residents in other states (QLD, VIC, TAS, SA & WA) in Australia
* Australian temporary visitor (toursist) visa holders
* Residents in other states in Australia except the Northern Territory
1) The visa applicant may apply in person.
2) A proxy may apply on the applicant's behalf with an original authorisation Letter along with his/her ID card.
How to apply for a visa?
👤 In person
If you are ready to apply for a visa, please make an appointment online to schedule a visit to our office through our website below.
*We are currently fully booked online for quite some time. We apologise for the inconvenience.
Priority will be given to those who have booked online. However, visitors can still attend without an appointment but must arrive before 11:00am.
Please note that there could be long waiting times and that you may be asked to come back to the consulate at a later date if capacity has been reached or your application requires additional procedures.
For more detail about online booking, please see:
📪 By post
Applicants who live in distant locations may apply for visas by post.
For more information please see: Visa application by post.
👥 Through agent
You may apply for a visa through agents regardless of the location where you reside (even if you live in Sydney CBD) as long as you live in our jurisdiction areas NSW and NT plus New Caledonia.
For more information please see: Visa application by agent.
Types of Visas & Application Documents
Short-term visa (up to 90days)
For more information about required documents, please see Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website.
Multiple entry visa for short-term Stay
For those who want to apply for a Multiple-entry visa in the following nationalities, please check the link and prepare the necessary documents on top of the single entry visa requirements.
*In addition to the documents listed, you will also need to provide your visa information in Australia(VEVO).
Submitting More Information
We may request more documents when you lodge the application or when we review your application.
In that case, please send the document/s to us by email. Or alternatively you may send them by FAX or post as well.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 02-9252-6555
- Post: Consulate-General of Japan in Sydney, GPO Box 4125, Sydney NSW 2001
* Your application number and name have to be written in the email subject field.
Single entry: 37 AUD, Multiple entry: 74 AUD
Indian Passport Holder Fees:
Single/Multiple Entry: 10 AUD
Extension of Re-entry Permit: 37 AUD
*Australian citizens are exempt from visa fees.
(Some other countries are also exempted from visa fees. Please check the visa exempt countries list to find out if your visa fee is waived.)
* Payment is due at the time of PICKUP.
* We accept CASH only (Please prepare cash in the exact amount). We DO NOT accept personal cheques and credit cards.
* Visa fees are revised on 1st April each year.
❖ Japan Visa Information Hotline (Visa telephone assistance 24/7)
1800-930-979 (English only)
❖ We can only respond to questions regarding visas at the following address.
Please check FAQ before contacting us.
✉ E-mail: email@example.com
The information that will be needed from you is:
Nationality / Citizenship
Visa status in Australia
Detailed purpose of your trip to Japan
Scheduled departure date
Intended length of stay in Japan
Your residence suburb and postcode
We’re answering phone enquiries as quickly as we can, but we’re currently receiving very high call volumes.
Thank you for your patience, we apologise for the inconvenience.
Current procedure of entry into Japan (PCR Test Certificate, and Visa Application)
- Current procedure of entry into Japan (PCR Test Certificate, Visa Application)
- For permanent residents who have difficulty re-entering Japan within the valid period of their re-entry permission due to the impact of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19)