Re-entry of foreign nationals from Australia who possess the status of residence in Japan


Foreign nationals who possess a valid residence card and re-entry permit (including special re-entry permit) and are re-entering Japan from Australia can enter Japan with a negative PCR Test certificate and an Individual Written Pledge to enter Japan. 

For more information on entering Japan at this time, please see Amended Procedure of Entry into Japan.

If your re-entry permit or residence card has expired, please contact the Japanese Immigration Services Agency for more information.

1. Quarantine in Japan (Self-Isolation)

In principle, you should enter Japan on a direct flight. 
After entering Japan you must self-isolate at home or a hotel for a period of 14 days.
You must not use any kind of mass or public transport (taxi, domestic flights, ferry, bus, train etc.) during your self-isolation or to get to the place where you will self-isolate.
Please use a private car (your family may pick you up) or a rental car.

For more information, see here at the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare's website: (Japanese only)

2. Further Questions

Please carefully read the above information and the links on the Ministry websites before contacting us. 
You can call on (02) 9250 1000 (press 2) if you have any questions.

3. Leaving Australia as an Australian citizen or Permanent Resident 

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Australia, you will require an exemption from the Australian government to travel. Please see here for details.  It is recommended to apply for the exemption at least three weeks from your intended travel date.
If you are normally a resident in another country (i.e. Japan), you may not require an exemption, but we recommend you check directly with the Department of Home Affairs on their COVID-19 Hotline at 1800 020 080 or their immigration information line at 131 881.