Working Holiday Visa (Australian Nationals Only)


Working Holiday Visa
(Australian Nationals Only)


Purpose of Working Holiday Visa


The governments of Japan and Australia commenced the Japan-Australia Working Holiday arrangement on the 1st December 1980.


The arrangement is intended to promote mutual understanding and friendship between the two countries.
Visas are issued to youth intent on accomplishing these purposes whilst planning a long term stay and journey in the country.

The applicant's primary aim of the Working Holiday should be to holiday in Japan. The program is not designed for persons who mainly intend to work or study in Japan.




The Working Holiday Programs are designed to promote international interaction and enhance friendly relationship between Japan and partner countries/regions by providing opportunities for young people to deepen their understanding about partner countries/regions.

Working Holiday participants are allowed to work for a certain period of their stay in order to cover associated costs in partner countries/regions.


The primary purpose of an applicant's stay should be a ”holiday” and NOT “to work” in Japan. So those who intend to mainly work in Japan cannot apply for the Working Holiday visa.

If an applicant’s aim is primarily to work, they should consider applying for Employment/Working visas instead.
Also it is strictly prohibited for Working Holiday makers to work at bars, cabarets, nightclubs, gambling establishments, and other premises affecting public morals in Japan.



Please understand the intended purpose of the Working Holiday program and apply for this visa accordingly.


Eligibility to Participate in Working Holiday


1. An applicant must be an Australian citizen currently residing in Australia. Accordingly, an Australian citizen

who is travelling or living abroad will not be eligible.


2. An applicant must be aged between 18-30 (inclusive) at the time of visa application for visa and must

never have previously obtained a Japanese Working Holiday visa.


3. For married couples, the applications are only accepted if both of them meet the criteria and requirement.

There is No dependant working holiday visa.

The couple must depart and travel together on Japanese Working Holiday visas.


4. An applicant must be in good health and of good character.


5. An applicant must possess a reasonable amount of funds to cover general living costs during the initial


period of their stay in Japan.


The minimum amount for a single person is A$2500 and for a married couple is A$3500.




Required Documents
*Please do NOT staple any document together and please use paper clips instead.


1. Passport

Valid until the trip to Japan and return is completed to Australia

Signed by the bearer

Not damaged (torn out pages, water damaged, or unreadable ID page, etc )

At least 2 spread blank visa pages

* If your passport is damaged or there is no spread blank page, please renew it beforehand.

If your current Australian visa is linked to your previous passport, please bring it as well.


2. Visa Application Form

Please download and print the Visa Application Form.

Checked the Visa ApplicationWriting Sample.

Please complete the form by filling ALL THE LINES without any left blank (See Sample writing).

If no information is applicable for the question, please put N/A or No (See Sample writing).

Your signature must be the same as on your passport.

Please do NOT staple the application forms together.


3. Passport Photo x 1

Size :4.5cm x 3.5cm (Australian Passport Photo Size), 4.5cm x 4.5cm or 2 in x 2 in

Must be taken within the last 6 months

Must be glued (not stapled) on the form at reserved photo place

If you had any cosmetic surgery, please declare it.

Not damaged (torn out pages, water damaged, or unreadable ID page, etc )


4.Flight Booking Confirmation

Please provide ALL the destination flight booking confirmations.

Eg. If you travel from Sydney to US first, and from US to Japan, all these flight details are required.

We do NOT require any payment of the flights as we cannot guarantee if your visa will be granted.

It is your own responsibility to purchase or pay.

Full flight details should be from an accredited travel agent or airline.

Make sure that the confirmation including flight details and your full name as a passenger.


5.Curriculum Vitae (CV)

Detailing your personal, educational and employment history


6.Declaration of Intent

Please download and print Declaration of Intent.

Must be original


7.Proposed schedule

Please download and print Proposed schedule(See Sample writing).

Must be original

The schedule for the first 6 months must be completed without any “As above”,

“Unknown” or other such marks.

This schedule will indicate you have thought about your proposed trip and have done .

some research into the areas that are of interest to you.


8.Letter of Purpose of Visit

Please explain why you wish to travel to Japan as a Working Holiday maker.

Please ensure that this is typed and at least one A4 full page in length with the applicant's signature.


9.Bank Account Details of your Saving Account

Must provide your " Saving Account" Statement or Transaction Record .

Other accounts are optional to submit.

Most recent 3 months transaction records of the account

* If your latest bank statement is not up-to-date to see the current balance, you may provide us with

a printed online transaction records to cover the most recent 3 months on top of the statement.

As long as the records show the same account number as that in the statement

and show the current balance, we can accept them.

Account holder details - showing your full name and current residential address

* If it shows your previous residential address, please update to the current address beforehand.

Or you may provide another official document showing your name and current address instead.

Have sufficient funds in excess of A$2500 (A$3500 for a married couple)

Funds should be in addition to your airline ticket or the funds you may have reserved

You must show that you have been saving for your trip to Japan, and so lump sum amounts that

have been deposited prior to applying for the visa will NOT be accepted.

Further information regarding source of funds may be required in writing.


Processing Time


The minimum assessment time is 5 working days.
It generally takes longer if additional documents are required for further assessment.
There is NO priority processing service. Therefore, early preparation for visa applications is highly recommended.
Visas are valid for 1 year.


Work Conditions


The following special conditions must be considered if you wish to work in Japan on a Working Holiday visa.


1. To fully appreciate the many different aspects of Japan, it is advised that the working holiday applicant moves to different areas within Japan at approximately 3-month intervals.


2. Work in nightclubs, bars and cabarets, dance halls, Pachinko bars etc., is not allowed. The Act Controlling Business Affecting Public Morals (Fueiho), Article 2; section 1 and 4, specify these prohibited areas of work.



Resident Card and Extension


Working Holiday makers must apply for a Resident Card within 90 days after entry into Japan.
This can be obtained at Immigration Offices throughout Japan.

In accordance with the conditions of the Working Holiday scheme, the visa can only be issued as a single entry visa and is valid for an initial stay of 6 months, which will commence from the day of entry into Japan.

Applications for extensions of your period of stay can be made at an Immigration Office in Japan, however please note that extensions are granted at the discretion of the Department of Immigration in Japan and that there is no guarantee that an extension will be granted. Please attend to the extension prior to the expiration of your visa.

As the Working Holiday visa is for a single entry only, you will have to obtain a “re-entry permit” at your local Department of Immigration office in Japan if you wish to leave Japan and return to continue your Working Holiday.

If you do not obtain a re-entry permit and leave the country, your visa is automatically cancelled.


Regional Immigration Bureaus



* The personal representative like a family member may apply for a visa on behalf with the original power of attorney/authorisation letter from the applicant. As long as the letter clearly mentions that the representative applies for him/her and collects his/her passport when the assessment is completed, the applicant does not have to come to our office in person. But the original letter must be submitted with the visa required documents together when applying and the personal representative must bring the own valid photo ID. *For the child’s visa application, the power of attorney is not required if the parent applies for him/her.
Example:The husband comes to our office in person to apply for his and his wife’s visas, and he brings the power of attorney from his wife. When the assessment is done, he may collect his and her passports together.


* Working Holiday visas will only be issued to an applicant who has not obtained one previously. A second Working Holiday application will not be accepted.

* Additional documents may be required if necessary.

* NO priority processing service

* NO charge for the Working Holiday visa

* Visas are valid for 1 year from the date of issue.

* Telephone assistance is available if you need further information on 02-9250-1000 Monday-Friday.
            10:00am-12:00pm or 3:00pm-5:00pm

* Documents submitted with the application will NOT be returned.


Please click "NEXT STEP" button to proceed to the next step.


Please click the button below if you apply by Post
( Only for distant location residents)