Designated Activities Visa


Designated Activities Visa


Activities authorised to engage in:
Activities that are specifically designated by the Minister of Justice for foreign individuals. (For example, activities on the part of foreigners who wish to enter Japan as personal help privately employed by diplomats, consular representatives etc.; foreigners who are employed by companies and are active as athletes in amateur sports and their dependent spouses and children; foreign lawyers engaged in international arbitration affairs; and university students engaged in internship activities.)


Period of stay: 5 years, 4 years, 3 years, 2 years, 1 year, 6 months, or a designated period of less than 3 years
An applicant must obtain a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for this visa.

Certificate of Eligibility (COE)


Most of the applicants who wish to enter Japan under the categories of Employment/Working, General or Specified visas should obtain, in principle, a Certificate of Eligibility.

The Certificate of Eligibility is a document issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. In order to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, you are required to have a sponsor in Japan such as an employer, a school, relative etc.

The sponsor in Japan must contact the local Immigration Office in order to apply for your Certificate. Once this has been issued, the certificate will be sent to you and you are then able to apply for a visa with the required documents listed below.

The application for the Certificate of Eligibility is free of charge and generally it takes up to 3 months to process.

* The Certificate of Eligibility should be submitted to an Immigration Inspector with a valid visa for landing permission at the port of entry in Japan, and shall cease to be valid if the application for landing permission is not filed within three months from the date of issue.


Required Documents
* Please do NOT staple any document together and please use paper clips instead.


1. Passport

Valid until the trip to Japan and return is completed to Australia

Signed by the bearer

Not damaged (torn out pages, water damaged, or unreadable ID page, etc )

At least 2 spread blank visa pages

* If your passport is damaged or there is no spread blank page, please renew it beforehand.

If your current Australian visa is linked to your previous passport, please bring it as well.


2. Australian Visa (VEVO) (Not applicable to Australian citizens)

Access to VEVO website and bring the printed VEVO information as your latest visa status please.

* Visa "Grant Notice" is NOT acceptable. Only the latest VEVO information is acceptable.

Valid until the trip to Japan and return is completed to Australia

If your current Australian visa is linked to your previous passport, please bring it as well.

If you hold a PR visa, please ensure that the Re-entry permit still is valid until the trip to Japan

    and return is completed to Australia. If not, please renew it beforehand.

If you hold a Bridging visa “A”, you need to change it to Bridging visa “B” beforehand.

If you hold a tourist/visitor visa, we CANNOT accept your application.

Please apply for a Japanese visa in your home country.


3. Visa Application Form

Please download and print the Visa Application Form.

Checked the Visa Application Writing Sample.

Please complete the form by filling ALL THE LINES without any left blank (See Sample writing).

If no information is applicable for the question, please put N/A or No (See Sample writing).

Your signature must be the same as on your passport.

Please do NOT staple the application forms together.


4. Passport Photo x 1


Size :4.5cm x 3.5cm (Australian Passport Photo Size), 4.5cm x 4.5cm or 2 in x 2 in

Must be taken within the last 6 months

Must be glued (not stapled) on the form at reserved photo place

If you had any cosmetic surgery, please declare it.

Not damaged (torn out pages, water damaged, or unreadable ID page, etc )


5.Certificate of Eligibility (COE)


Must be original


* The personal representative like a family member may apply for a visa on behalf with the original power of attorney/authorisation letter from the applicant. As long as the letter clearly mentions that the representative applies for him/her and collects his/her passport when the assessment is completed, the applicant does not have to come to our office in person. But the original letter must be submitted with the visa required documents together when applying and the personal representative must bring the own valid photo ID. *For the child’s visa application, the power of attorney is not required if the parent applies for him/her.
Example:The husband comes to our office in person to apply for his and his wife’s visas, and he brings the power of attorney from his wife. When the assessment is done, he may collect his and her passports together.


* Additional documents may be required if necessary.

* The minimum assessment time is 5 working days.
    It generally takes longer if additional documents are required for further assessment.

* There is NO priority processing service.

* Visas are valid for 3 months from the date of issue.

* Telephone assistance is available if you need further information on 02-9250-1000 Monday-Friday.
            10:00am-12:00pm or 3:00pm-5:00pm

* Documents submitted with the application will NOT be returned.


Please click "NEXT STEP" button to proceed to the next step.


Please click the button below if you apply by Post
( Only for distant location residents)