Top Page >> Step 1 -Check Visa Type
1. Check if You Need a Visa
Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay)
Nationals of some countries and regions are not required to obtain visas to enter Japan for short term stay for tourism, commerce, conferences, visiting relatives/ acquaintances, etc up to 90 days.
The list below is just some examples of visa exempted countries/regions (as of December 2014, 67 countries and regions in total).
Please ensure to check the details of the visa exemptions in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan website below.
Table - Some Examples of Visa Exempted Countiers & Regions
If you are exempted to obtain a visa, please make sure that your passport is valid until the trip to Japan and return is completed to Australia. It is NOT required 3 months or 6 months passport validity to enter Japan. It is alright as long as the passport is valid until the trip in Japan is completed.
2. Check if You Can Apply in Sydney
Who Can Apply? Who CANNOT?
Long Term Residents in NSW and NT
* Permanent Resident Visa Holders
* Student Visa Holders
* 457 Business Visa Holders
* 485 Graduate Visa Holders
* Australian Temporary Visitor Visa Holders
* Holders of an Australian visitor visa who have changed their visa status from a Student Visa
* Residents in the other states in Australia except Northern Territory
3. Select Your Visa Type
Please choose your visa type carefully.
Please select a visa type depending on your purpose of visit from the dropdown menu below.
It will bring you to "Step 2" and details of visa required documents.